Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Egg Yolk Hair Mask


Last September I made a commitment to change my lifestyle to eat healthier, as a result I usually only eat egg whites. I have always felt that tinge of guilt as toss that yolk into the garbage bin… I have found a way to remedy that problem!
While lost in the vortex of Pinterest one day, I saw a few posts about egg yolk hair masks that used egg yolks and some sort of oil.  I decided to put together egg yolks and coconut oil, which I knew to be a healthy beauty treatment anyway. 
I ended up using about 5 small egg yolks from the chickens on our farm (I have really thick hair) and 1 tsp. of coconut oil. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature so I melted it for about 45 seconds and let to cool for a minute or two, as to not make scrambled eggs when I combined it with the yolks.
After it was just a little warm I mixed it together and spread it on sectioned hair. It’s messy but the results are worth it! After your hair is all yolky tie it up and put a regular shopping bag or shower cap over it for an hour or so.
-
After an hour rinse it out in a tepid shower with shampoo and conditioner. I let my hair air dry but you could style it normally afterword. I was really happy with the results! When it dried it was soft and shiny. I curled the ends with my straightener and that was it. I will definitely be saving my egg yolks from now on!
results
I plan on using this treatment weekly to grow my hair princess length for my wedding!
sig3

2 comments:

Dicky Bird said...

You are so cute - when did you do this? I see it is at home not the dorm... I did notice your hair looked softer. Blessings from Home!

Kelly Brito said...

This is awesome! MAN, I just threw 3 egg yolks away! Seriously! Dang it.