Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Costa Rica!


This past winter break I had the opportunity to go to Costa Rica for two weeks with UW Oshkosh for a service learning class. I got to be immersed in the language and culture for two weeks and got volunteer on a cooperative. It was an awesome experience!
              018015
The Group next to some Graffiti ^ 
044
<  An organic farm tour
020












We got to visit some elderly people in a convent provided for those with families who cannot meet their needs.



Here is a quote from Mother Teresa on their wall. “The fruit of silence is prayer, the fruit of prayer is faith, the fruit of faith is love, the fruit of love is service. The fruit of service is peace.
                          
054Our "family" in Costa Rica, they coordinated our trip.

Pico de gallo for breakfast everyday!
SONY DSC                       SONY DSC
Stray dogs :(
SONY DSC                       SONY DSC
El Mercado (The market)
SONY DSC
Some environmental protesters
SONY DSC                       DSC05597SONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCCrocodiles!!

Is this not the most beautiful country in the world??SONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSC
The cooperative was called Coopesilenco and I was boarded with a Costa Rican family and worked in the cooperative.  I initially signed up for the class to work with children, but they were on holiday when I was there so I got to work with the animals and repaired a few monkey cages! There is an animal rescue on the cooperative that gives home to a few monkeys, birds, Costa Rican pig, and a few others. This little guy was quite friendly and has been on the cooperative since he was only a few months old when authorities took him from some people who killed his mother and were trying to sell him. :(
 SONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSC
Overall this was an awesome trip! I learned so much from the culture and about myself. I didn’t know anyone going on this trip and I was put into some situations that were completely outside of my comfort zone.  It was a great experience for me to grow and learn about myself and about another culture.  It’s put the travel bug back in me for sure!
I got a wonderful surprise when I got back, too! Josh proposed when he picked me up! 2013 has been quite eventful for me so far! :)

sig3

1 comment:

Dicky Bird said...

Yes, looks like a beautiful country. Nice pictures.