Saturday, April 30, 2011

Faith Challenge

Philosophy...

Many people advised me not to take Philosophy class in college being a Christian.  They said it would combat against all I believed.

They were right.. It did.

Is that such a bad thing though?

In Philosophy one of the first things I was taught was Descates' Method of  Systematic Doubt. 




He said in his first meditation:


"Several years have now elapsed since I first became aware that I had accepted, even from my youth, many false opinions for true, and that consequently what I afterward based on such principles was highly doubtful; and from that time I was convinced of the necessity of undertaking once in my life to rid myself of all the opinions I had adopted, and of commencing anew the work of building from the foundation...But, to this end, it will not be necessary for me to show that the wholeof these are false--a point, perhaps, which I shall never reach; but as even now my reason convinces me that I ought not the less carefully to withhold belief from what is not entirely certain and indubitable, than from what is manifestly false"



This is actually a Biblical concept.

Ephesians 5:9-11
For the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true  and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

Romans 12:9
Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.

Acts 17:11
Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
1 Thessalonians 5:21
Test all things and hold fast to what is good.



That has been my goal.  To test each one of my beliefs to God's Word - the ultimate truth.


The Faith Challenge:

1. God is the foundation.  Build your beliefs up from Him. 

2. Examine each one of your beliefs.  To keep a belief blindly from birth can be a dangerous thing. Beliefs founded in scripture and not the words or traditions of men are ones that are destined to fall.

3.  Pray for guidance.

4.  Find those core beliefs to which you discern to be true.

5.  Follow God with your heart, mind, and soul and a renewed faith!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so you're making a core assumtion that is untested: the bible is the absolute truth of God. how do you test that belief? how do you test the foundation to find if it is solid?

Justine said...

First of all, Thanks for stopping by my blog! Second, the foundation for one's life is different for everyone. I choose to live my life with God as my center and foundation. He has shown me that he is more than enough for me to lean on through the tough situations in my life. That's how I know He is a solid foundation. :) It also takes a great amount of faith. I do not claim to be a perfect anything, especially a follower. There are many times when I have wavered from my foundation but He's always there when I come to my senses. :) I hope this helps! :)