Sunday, April 3, 2011

Energy Bars!

       For my creative Friday night project I decided to make some energy bars for my boyfriend because he had a race Saturday.. rather Sunday because it's at midnight! :P  Running is not really my cup of tea.. but I'm proud of him!  So since I couldn't make it to watch him.. I supported him by baking him some healthy-energy-granola bars. :)



A recent picture of me and Josh at a concert last weekend :)
Step 1: Making the granola


 Granola Recipe:


3/4 C pecans
1/2 C almonds
4 C rolled oats
1/2 C coconut
1/2 C wheat bran (I like Bob's Red Mill organic kind)
1/2 C flax seed
1 stick butter
1/3 C maple syrup or honey
1/2 C dried blueberry's
1/4 C currents (I call them baby raisins :) )


1.  preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil and place the nuts on them to roast for 10 min.  Transfer to a board and chop when cool.


2.  Reduce temp. to 300 degrees combine oats' coconut, bran, and flax seed and place on same baking sheet.  Then melt the butter and syrup and drizzle on top of the oat mix.  Stir well and spread it evenly.


3.  Bake for 30 min. stirring periodically until lightly brown.  When it is cool add the chopped nuts and fruit.




Step 2: Making the Bars


4 C granola (see above)
1 C puffed brown rice cereal
1/2 C whole wheat chex cereal
5 TBS butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C honey
2 large egg whites (I use 4 of our small eggs from Bantam chickens)


1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spread some parchment paper on a thick baking sheet.
2.  Combine granola with cereals.
3.  Combine butter, brown sugar, and honey in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted.  Coat granola mix with the butter syrup.  Then mix in the egg whites and stir until blended.
4.  Press into pan and bake for 20 min. until it is set in the middle.
5. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool over night.  Cover with foil when it is cool enough.
6.  Cut into sixteen 2 in squares the next morning and enjoy!

The granola pan cooling :)




Finished energy bars :)



Num!








4 comments: